- Websites that we own and operate, including https://www.davita.com/, and associated subdomains (“Site(s)”);
- Mobile applications that we own and operate, collectively (“App(s)”); and
- DaVita Health Portal (https://www.davita.com/tools/health-portal);
- DaVita International country-specific websites accessible via https://www.davita.com/international; and
Except as expressly stated otherwise, we make our Services available for the purpose of providing useful information to the general public, and not for the purpose of providing health care services. These Services are provided to you as a consumer, and not as a patient of DaVita. In some circumstances, information we may use or disclose may also constitute Protected Health Information (“PHI”) pursuant to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”). In these circumstances, we will treat your PHI in accordance with our Notice of Privacy Practices, which applies to our delivery of health care or other HIPAA-related services to DaVita patients.
Certain of our Services may offer on-line, self-help and/or educational tools and require users to register for an online account, but our Services are not intended to serve as vehicles for providing medical advice or health care services.. Please consult your physician regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet, and health questions. If you are experiencing an urgent medical condition, immediately call 9-1-1.
Information we collect
- Personally identifiable and other demographic information such as your name, gender, date of birth, zip code race and ethnicity.
- Contact information such as your address, email, phone number, or other information you submit when communicating with us, such as the “contact us” sections of our Services.
- Your photo and other profile information when you register and create an account with us, and when you update your profile (see also MyDaVita section below).
- If you choose to use the interactive components of our Services (which may require first establishing an account with us), we may request additional information from you, such as choosing general statements about your health. Using these interactive tools and providing additional information is strictly voluntary.
- Information you publish or submit on publically available websites, blogs, chat rooms, and social media networks.
We may collect device-specific information when you visit our Sites or use our Apps. This includes information such as Internet Protocol (IP) address, hardware model, operating system, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information. We may also associate the information we collect from your different devices, which helps us provide consistent Services across your devices.
Other Types of Your Information:
- Our Services may contain transparent GIF files (also known as “web beacons,” “action tags,” or “pixel tags”) or use other technologies to help manage on-line advertising. These GIF files are used to recognize when a user views a web page or opens an email. This information enables DaVita to learn which emails and advertisements bring users to our Services.
- To help manage our advertising, we may use third-party products such as AdSense, AdWords, Google Analytics, a range of DoubleClick-branded services, and IBM Marketing Cloud. When you visit a Service that uses one of these products, various cookies may be sent to your browser. These may be sent from multiple different domains. These cookies enable DaVita to use other services in conjunction with third-party vendors (such as ad measurement, ad delivery, or reporting services) and these third-party services may send their own cookies to your browser and collect information about your use of our Services, including your IP address. More information on, for example, Google Analytics can be found at google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, and the option to opt-out is available here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Communities, Blogs, and Other Public Forums
DaVita’s Services may feature public forums or other community areas where users with similar interests or medical conditions can share information. We may also offer moderated on-line discussions. Such communities and discussions are for informational purposes only and do not constitute medical advice. These communities and discussions are open to the public and should not be considered private.
Any information you choose to share in our on-line communities and discussions is, by design, open to the public and is not private; therefore, you should think carefully before sharing any sensitive information, including information about your health. What you share can be seen, disclosed to, or collected by third-parties and may be used by others in ways we cannot control or predict, including to contact you for purposes you have not authorized.
How We Use Your Information
We may use Your Information in various ways, including:
- To respond to your questions and customer service related inquiries.
- To provide you with specific content and administer the Services to you.
- To deliver advertisements, emails, texts and social media notifications about our brand, products, Services, or for other promotional purposes. We may tailor our advertising based on Your Information to send you more practical product or Service recommendations and offers.
- To analyze and improve the quality of our business and Services, and to provide you with a better user experience.
- To combine different pieces of Your Information, to create aggregated, non-personal information, or to create de-identified information.
- To comply with our legal obligations, and to assist law enforcement and respond to regulatory or other legal inquiries.
Newsletters, Emails and Text Messages
When you register for an account or certain other actions through our Services, you may be given the option of receiving recurring informational/promotional newsletters or other emails from DaVita or our business partners. In order for you to subscribe to these emails, we will ask for your contact information. You can unsubscribe from DaVita emails at any time by simply following the directions included at the bottom of each email or by editing the information you entered when you registered. Please note that if you do unsubscribe from receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still need to send you important administrative messages. You cannot opt-out from receiving these administrative messages.
You can opt-out of text messages to which you have subscribed. The simplest way to opt-out of receiving text messages is to reply “Stop” to any text message you receive from us. We will implement your request as soon as reasonably practical but no later than 30 days from the date of such request.
If you have difficulties with our newsletters, emails or texts that you cannot address as described above, please see the contact information in the “Questions, Complaints and Contacts” section below and let us know about your issue.
How We Disclose Your Information
The following describes the purposes for which we may share Your Information, and who we may disclose it to:
- To an affiliate or subsidiary to which such information is associated. DaVita obtains various types of services, such as information technology, email delivery and data analysis, from its affiliates, subsidiaries, and other trusted business partners. DaVita may share Your Information with these vendors to enable them to deliver services to DaVita.
- To third-parties for their direct marketing purposes, provided that you have consented to such sharing.
- In response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation. We may cooperate with law enforcement in investigating and prosecuting activities that are illegal, violate our rules, or may be harmful to other visitors.
- In other ways described to you at the point of collection, or pursuant to your consent.
How We Interact With Third Parties
Links to Third-Party Websites
Social Media Plugins
DaVita’s Services may use social media plugins to enable you to easily share information with others. When you visit a website, the operator of the social plugin can place a cookie on your computer or device enabling that operator to recognize individuals who have previously visited that website. If you are logged into a social media account while browsing our Services, the social plugins allow that social media company to receive information about your use of our Services. Social plugins also allow the social media company to share information about your activities when using our Services with other users of their social media website. DaVita does not control any of the content from social media plugins. For more information about plugins from other social media websites you should refer to those companies’ privacy policies.
How We Protect Your Information
DaVita’s Services incorporate safeguards to help protect the security and privacy of Your Information. DaVita employs certain procedural and technological security measures designed to protect Your Information from unauthorized access and disclosure. We may use encryption, secure sockets layer (SSL) technology, internal restrictions, risk management programs, or other security measures. However, no security system is impenetrable, and transmission of information over the Internet is not completely secure. While we take steps to protect Your Information, we cannot guarantee its privacy or security. If you have any questions about the security of Your Information, please reach out to us using the contact information in the “Questions, Complaints and Contacts” section below.
DaVita’s Services are intended for adults age 18 and older, and are not intended to attract children. DaVita will not knowingly collect Your Information from any person we actually know to be under 13 years old. If you are under the age of 13, do not use the Services or provide any information through our Services.
Do Not Track Signals
Some web browsers may transmit “do not track” signals to websites with which the browser communicates. Our Services do not currently respond to these “do not track” signals.
We strive to maintain the accuracy of Your Information, and will use our commercially reasonable efforts to respond promptly to update our database when you tell us any such information in our database is not accurate. It is your responsibility to ensure that such information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To make changes or delete Your Information, to delete your account, or for other requests or issues, please reach out to us using the contact information in the “Questions, Complaints and Contacts” section below.
Your California Privacy Rights
Retention of Your Information
Questions, Complaints and Contact Us
Attn: Chief Privacy Officer
2000 16th Street
Denver, CO 80202